Friday, April 13, 2012

Day 2 - Still going

Day 2 turned out a lot better than Day 1. I didn't feel hungry all day long like yesterday and didn't need as many snacks in between meals, which I think is good.

I made a breakfast shake with kale, spinach, blueberries, blackberries, a banana, a carrot, coconut milk, vanilla protein powder, and peanut butter. (I read that I should watch how much nuts I eat while losing weight since they are fatty, so I'm going to start limiting my nut consumption).

For lunch I made a sandwich with a Boca burger, spinach, grilled zucchini, red bell pepper, and portabella mushrooms on toasted russian rye bread.

And for dinner, my boyfriend and I went to Qdoba Mexican Grill and I had a naked vegetarian burrito. Rice, black beans, grilled zucchini, guacamole, lettuce, and corn salsa. It was delicious!


I still need to cut back on diet coke and add more water to my diet. I really don't like the tap water here, but maybe if I add a little lemon juice it will taste better.

So far so good, I haven't had any cravings for cookies, and I used to be a terrible binger on those things. I have also become more active when it comes to cooking in the kitchen, even if it is making breakfast for my boyfriend in the morning while I make my smoothie.


Overall here are some general rules I am trying to follow when it comes to weight loss:
1) Start my day with fruits and veggies in the form of a smoothie. When food is blended the body can start absorbing it almost immediately which leads to quicker energy release for the body at the start of the day. I have found I have tons more energy from a smoothie then if I ate a bowl of cereal with milk.

2) Eat lots of veggies, about 50-60% of what I eat will be veggies. At least half fresh. Veggies can lose their nutrients from being cooked so it is always good to eat fresh veggies as well to maintain maximum nutritional values

3) Make sure not to eat processed foods and limit carbohydrates passed lunchtime since the body will begin to slow it's metabolism down in preparation for sleep and leftover carbs/sugars will be stored as fat. Overall, I am limiting as many processed carbohydrates as possible. I may only have one slice of whole grain or other dark bread a day for lunch for a sandwich, but any other processed foods with flour have been cut out. I am also cutting out processed sugar and sweeteners, and staying away from artificial sweeteners as well.

4) Drink lots of water and cut out caffeine (still working on that last one) but I hope to have cut out diet coke in about a week. I want to ween off of it so I don't have terrible migraines.

5) Be active! I have led a pretty sedentary lifestyle for the last year and most of my jobs have been the sitting down variety. Now I aim to change that by going for more walks to strengthen my leg muscles, and lifting weights to strengthen my arms. In time, I'll be more and more active.



Here is the food pyramid I am following.

No comments:

Post a Comment